Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 6

12:00 PM

Well, I'm a little slow getting on the blog-o-sphere this morning. It's Saturday, what can I say, weekends are suppose to be slow, right?

I had another 3 readings in a row under 200 but again it was busted by my 11:00 reading. I'm sure the 11:00's are affected by my breakfasts, and I'm okay with that since the carb content was not in excess, at all. I realize that everything I eat will affect my sugar. And I am trying to adopt the philosophy that you eat a good breakfast, a decent lunch and a small dinner. Or as I once read, eat breakfast, share lunch with a friend and give dinner to your enemy (or something like that).
Had a nice long telephone conversation with my mom this morning. She is pre-diabetic and has been for years, but it was interesting to find out that not only did my grandmother & one of my uncles have Diabetes, but so did my great-grandmother & one of my other uncles. That is three generations preceding me and so far my younger sister & I have become the fourth generation that we know of. And with my daughter & granddaughter both being hypoglycemic I see the potential for the next 2 generations being diabetic also because to me Hypoglycemia is the sister to Diabetes. The body is not processing glucose correctly in both instances, so they seem to be pretty closely related.

Well, lunch today was another learning thing. We decided to have Pimento Cheese sandwiches. I bought an Italian bread with only 15g of carbs per slice, so knowing I had 30g already I needed to be sure of my Pimento Cheese. Well, the package says 2g per serving and a serving is 2 TBSP. I get my measuring spoon out and I'm thinking that 2 TBSP is not going to make much of a sandwich so this is going to determine how much Pimento Cheese stays in my repertoire of options. Amazingly it covered 2/3 of this bread with a sufficient amount for a sandwich. Now had this been a regular slice of bread it would have been perfect, but this Italian bread is slightly wider than a regular loaf so I actually used 3 TBSP, but still, at 2g/TBSP that only added 1 more gram. And no mayo since I prefer mustard with my Pimento Cheese, so no added carbs there.

7:30
Good number at my 4:00 check. Had a good chat with my little sister this afternoon. She is a wonderful resource for me since she has  had Diabetes for a few years. She sent me to allrecipes.com where I can search for recipes by ingredients I want in a recipe as well as exclude ingredients I do not want. Already found a few that I saved and will be trying. I really need to find some stuff more than the basics I know now. Had Broccoli Slaw for supper. It was an A' la carte kinda night here. Terry ate vegetable soup, Brett had Hormel Tamales topped with Hormel Chili so I had what was already in the fridge. I'm thinking I really need to cook up some chicken next week so that i have some protein food in the fridge ready to go. Yep, finding foods that fit the diabetic diet is what will be the hardest going forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment