Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 22

2:00
BG still good. Doing my best to stick to the No Sugar - Low carb lifestyle. It has been a little easier than I expected since I found a few things I like, I have been trying to eat more fresh fruits and salads, both iceberg and baby spinach. I also tried a recipe for Diabetic Eggnog that is pretty darn good! 

Here is the recipe I found for the Diabetic Eggnog (found this on the Diabetic Connect website in the recipes section:

Ingredients

5 1/2 cups skim milk ( I used 2% milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (1 1/2 ounce) boxes sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
3 1/4 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Cooking Instructions

1. In a large bowl, combine vanilla and milk
2. In another bowl, combine the dry pudding mix, sweetener, and nutmeg.
3. Whisk the dry mix into the milk mixture until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.




I will also post a recipe I made Friday night that turned out to be pretty darn good. I found this one on Food.com


Crust:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 eggs (I used 2 eggbeaters cups)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (you will need 8 more in the topping)


Topping:
1 lb ground beef (I used 1.5 lbs)
3 teaspoons taco seasoning (I used the rest of what was left from making the crust and 1 additional packet)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
4 ounces chopped green chilies (I didn't have any green chilies so I left this out)
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (you will need 8 more in the crust)


Directions (Prep Time: 25 mins - Total Time: 1 1/4 hr)
1. For the crust, beat the cream cheese and eggs until smooth.
2. Add the cream and seasoning.
3. Grease a 9"x13" baking dish; spread the cheese over the bottom.
4. Pour in the egg mixture as evenly as possible.
5. Bake at 375ºF, 25-30 minutes.
6. Let stand 5 minutes before adding the topping.
7. For the topping, brown the hamburger; drain fat.
8. Stir in the seasoning, tomato sauce and chilies.
9. Spread over the crust.
10. Top with cheese.
11. Reduce oven to 350ºF and bake another 20 minutes or so until hot and bubbly.
12. Serve with the toppings of your choice (add additional carbs accordingly)


It says it serves 8, but it was rather thin so Terry, Brett & I knocked out half the first night. I divided the leftovers in half and stacked it 2 deep in a small corning square bowl and the next night Brett & I knocked that out between us. So take the "Serves 8" as you may.
Next time I make this one I am going to bake the crust and then split it in half and stack it 2 deep in a 9X9 casserole dish. A bottom layer of crust followed by half the meat mixture and 4 oz. of shredded cheese. Then the other half of the crust topped by the remaining meat mixture & the rest of the cheese.  It will make the same amount, but it will be a smaller footprint, just a deeper dish. And since everything will be "cooked" when it is stacked it will just be a question of will the cheese in the middle get hot enough to melt. We will see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment