Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 41

10:45 a.m.
BG was higher after breakfast than I want it to be. And the carb amount was 54.70 - just about at the top of the limit I had set for my carbs per meal. That may have to be adjusted too - just depends on how other meals go without the insulin.

My new short term goal is to identify and replace foods that impact my numbers too much with the absence of insulin. First on that agenda is breakfast. I had my usual Special K with Almond Milk and coffee this morning & it sent my sugar higher than I want so the next test on breakfast will be tomorrow when I have a Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowl. Depending on how that works out I will go from there. And, while my doctor said I only needed to test twice a day, I will be testing more often these next two weeks to be sure I eliminate or replace any foods that hit my sugar too hard!

Gotta keep my focus on staying OFF the needle!

I needed a new goal with this new journey I am on since I had become somewhat comfortable with the process and the diet modifications and all. Always helps to have a new goal! :)

2:10 p.m.
So lunch was a salad - Baby Spinach Leaves with fresh strawberries, fresh pineapple, shredded Manchego Cheese, a bacon strip (crumbled) and Light Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing - carbs = 49.40g / BG = 98. 

I compare that to my breakfast of Special K Cinnamon Pecan with Almond Milk and a cup of coffee - carbs 54.70g / BG - 238. 

A difference of only 5.3g, but gosh at the difference in the BG numbers. I don't think it was the difference of 5.3g of carbs as much as I think it is the difference in the type of carbs. The different foods have different “glycemic indexes” (that is, how quickly they tend to raise blood glucose levels) and apparently the glycemic index of the cereal is one that hits my BG hard. 


So, cereal is on it's way out but my yummy salad gets to stay (yay).

No comments:

Post a Comment