Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 53

9:00 a.m.
BG is good. Didn't test the oatmeal today. Just wasn't really in the mood to force myself to eat it and especially knowing that it may spike my sugar again. And I will test it without the Splenda Brown, but I WILL have to put something on it. I've had pretty good luck with Truvia in making sweet tea so I will put Truvia on it. For today I just went with the tried & true Jimmy Dean. 

I was on one of my Diabetic Discussion Board sites yesterday and one of the threads asked " In reflection, can you remember when you became Diabetic? Not when you were diagnosed but when changes started happening?" I started thinking about it. I knew when I wasn't. I knew I developed Diabetes, certainly, between April 13, 2010 and January 17, 2011 because my BS was 96 in April 2010 and was 612 in January 2011.

As for recognizable symptoms I started having hypoglycemic episodes about 6 months before I was diagnosed - I had excessive tiredness for about a month before my Dx - excessive thirst for about 2 weeks before my Dx and blurred vision (to the point I had to be within 24 inches of a 22" PC monitor and was no longer safe behind the wheel of a car) for less than a week before my Dx.

My doctor stated that I had Diabetes for more than 2 weeks in response to a question asked or a comment made by my husband the day of my Dx. Of course I later understood his reply was based on my A1c being 12.46.

So, recognizing when? I can say, with what I now know about Diabetes, that I recognize symptoms from about July 2010 (six months before my Dx) - I just did not know they were symptoms of Diabetes. I actually suspected, at that time, that I was Hypoglycemic. Which, to me, was a reasonable assumption since my daughter was Dx'd Hypoglycemic 15 years ago and my granddaughter was Dx'd Hypoglycemic in November 2010 and I was having Hypoglycemic episodes. A reasonable assumption, in my humble opinion.

Well, okay, gotta get finished with a couple of things so I can get to my exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment