Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 60

9:00 a.m.
Fasting BG was 108 and that was with no attempt to create a balance overnight with any type of evening snack. Still not sure that these numbers are cause for concern, but they are higher than what I was getting two, three, four weeks ago.

I also found something on one of my discussion boards that better explained ho the A1c test determined that I had had Diabetes "at least" three months before my diagnosis. The test is actually called a HbA1c (I think I got that right). It is a hemoglobin A1c test. When the blood glucose is high, it attaches to the hemoglobin protein in red blood cells, forming hemoglobin A1c. Red blood cells have of lifespan of 90 to 120 days, and once the glucose has combined with the hemoglobin in red blood cells, the hemoglobin A1c remains in the blood for that length of time. The amount of hemoglobin A1c in your blood simply reflects an approximation of your glucose levels over the past 3-5 months.Pretty interesting. I guess I knew I always have blood, but I never thought of blood having a life span. Now it makes me curious about what happens to the blood cells at the end of their lifespan? They don't pop out through my skin so are the living blood cells eating them? Little cannibal blood cells! Eeeek!

Well, I got tired of waiting for a lower fasting BG to re-test my oatmeal so I had oatmeal for breakfast today. I test for that at 9:45. More to come . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment