Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 68

9:30 a.m.
Well, fasting BG went back up to 110 this morning. I did not take 3 Excedrin PM before bed last night, so now I have more suspicion in regards to how well I sleep affecting my fasting BG.

I also tested oatmeal again this morning using Truvia to sweeten both the oatmeal as well as my coffee - oatmeal failed again . . . or, maybe not! If I subtract the 6 points difference of my fasting BG for today to balance out to what I had yesterday, then the oatmeal would be within range. I really need to figure out how to get the fasting BG down & keep it down so that breakfast does not start with a handicap everyday. Tomorrow I will retest the Jimmy Dean Breakfast bowl with the Truvia sweetened coffee to see if I get a repeat of yesterday. Of course I will have to do some math based on my fasting BG. Ugh! Have I ever mentioned that I really never cared for math? This is karma getting me back for not giving match the attention it deserved in school!

Okay, enough ugh. I found a nifty page on one of my bookmarked websites that I want to share - Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) Calculator

A good article about your resting metabolic rate. there is also a calculator to figure out how many calories you would consume to lose 1 pound per week or how many calories to maintain your current weight. Handy handy!

Snipped from that article: 
Calculating Your BMR
The easiest way to measure your BMR is to use an online calculator, like the one at My Calorie Counter. This calculator factors in your height, weight, gender, and age, and activity level, then assesses how many calories you need to eat daily just to maintain your current weight.
You can do the math yourself, using the appropriate equation:
 
• If you’re a man, your BMR is equal to: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years). For example, if you’re 170 pounds, 5’11”, and 43, your BMR is 66 + (6.23 x 170) + (12.7 x 71) – (6.8 x 43) = 1734.4 calories.
• If you’re a woman, your BMR is equal to: 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years). For example, if you’re 130 pounds, 5’3”, and 36, your BMR is 665 + (4.35 x 130) + (4.7 x 63) – (4.7 x 36) = 1357.4 calories.

Next figure out your total daily calorie requirement by multiplying your BMR by your level of activity:
• If you rarely exercise, multiply your BMR by 1.2.
• If you exercise on 1 to 3 days per week, doing light activity, multiply your BMR by 1.375.
• If you exercise on 3 to 5 days per week, doing moderate activity, multiply your BMR by 1.55.
• If you exercise 6 to 7 days per week, doing vigorous activity, multiply your BMR by 1.725.
• If you exercise every day and have a physical job or if you often exercise twice a day, multiply your BMR by 1.9.

If the man in the example exercises 3 days a week, doing moderate activity, his daily caloric requirement is 1734.4 x 1.55, or 2688.3 calories.

If the woman in the example exercises 6 days a week, her daily caloric requirement is 1357.4 x 1.725, or 2342.5 calories.

This calculation gives you the number of calories you burn in one day at your current level of activity; in other words, this is the number of calories it takes to stay at the weight you are if you don’t change anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment